Crispy grated potatoes - gluten free

This is for my coeliac (gluten intolerant), vegan (and vegetarian) friends, and of course, for all potatoes lovers.

I was born a farmer – as I always say  and potatoes were grown every year. 
I can't imagine a life without this tuberous because I absolutely love potatoes.
I eat them in every shape and form. 
Not my mom, though. She can't stand them! 
My eldest brother too. 
I feel for them so badly! 


I used to think that this recipe was invented by me when I was eight. 
It seems that other people had the same idea though. 
How disappointed I was when I found this out. 
Never mind.

Coarsely grated crispy potatoes on a plate

This is by far, the dearest recipe I have ever invented (or thought so) to me. 
Every time I miss my country and family, I cook it and it takes me instantly back in time when I used to cook for eight or more people (my family). 
Inestimable memories.

It is simple, fast and easy to make. You only need fifteen to twenty minutes, depending on your cooking skills.

You need a grater and a frying pan. It is essential for the frying pan to be anti-adherent, but most are, right?

Preparation time: 15 - 20 minutes
Degree of difficulty: low
Serves: 2 people (a whole meal) It can be served as a side too. It would serve 6 then
  • 5-6 medium-sized red (white, any kind - it doesn't really matter) potatoes
  • 1 + 1 tablespoon oil (I use olive oil). You can add more if you like. Honest, it tastes better with more grease
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of black pepper
  • dried garlic
Optional:
  • paprika/chili (I always add it because I like spicy)
  • grated cheese – If you are not vegan – You'll add this at the very end, when the potatoes are on the plate, still hot.
How to: 
  • Coarsely grate (on the large holes of a box grater) the potatoes and season. - You don't need to peel them, but in Romania, it's unthinkable to not peel the potatoes. We give the skin to the pigs. :D - 
Coarsely grated white potatoes
  • Heat half the fat (oil, 1 or 2 tablespoons) in a small, heavy-based frying pan until sizzling, and then add the grated potato - distribute them evenly in the frying pan, allow to cook for a couple of minutes (until golden)
Coarsely grated potatoes in a frying pan
  • Turn it over using a big plate (have a look to this video – It is in Romanian, and it's a frittata, but you can see the "moves")
  • Add the rest of the oil to the pan and, slide the potato cake (yes, it will look like a frittata or a cake) back into the pan the other way up. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, then serve hot with pickles (Romanian style) or any salad.

This could be served with fried eggs, any type of meat or fish or plain simple.
So delicious. You need to try it!

Pictures from De gustibus non est disputandum. - On this blog (mine) I have various interpretations of this recipe, most are vegan, and all are to die for!

If you like this post, please feel free to comment or share it with others who might benefit from reading it.
Sharing is Caring. 
If any of the above helped you in any way, as a Thank You, visit my LinkedIn account or like my Facebook page. 
That way I will know that my work isn't in vain. 
I highly appreciate your time. 












2 Comments

Do not be shy, leave a sign. I prefer nice words, but critics are welcome too. Do not spam, do not insult (me or others), avoid being vulgar. Respect is a MUST! Ps. If you don't see your comment right away, is because it needs my approval before becoming public, so don't waste your time insulting, nobody will ever know (besides you).

  1. That looks amazing!! I will definitely try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your trust and kindness.
      I do hope youțre going to enjoy this meal as much as I do every time.

      Delete
Previous Post Next Post