A mărțișor, martenitsa for you

Dear reader, 

Do you know what a mărțișor is? 
Have you ever heard of mărțișor or martenitsa? 
A mărțișor is an object attached to a white and red thread (or string) given to men and boys,  parents, teachers and other people with a high rank in Romania. At least, that used to be the case. Long passed. 
Nowadays, everyone could get a mărțișor. Or not. 

What object can be attached to this two-colours twisted together thread? 
Any object, all objects you can think about.  
Of course, one should pick something nice and small, because, when I was a child, mărțișor was supposed to be carried on the chest. 
Now, we attach it to cards. 
At first, a long, long time ago, this small object was simply a coin (no money value), then a lady beetle, a snowdrop, a clover leaf, a horseshoe etc.; all symbols of luck, health, wealth, and beauty.

A mărțior symbolises the arrival of spring and, as I wrote in this post, https://iliveisuffer.blogspot.com/2015/03/1-march-lovely-traditions.html, in Daco-Romanian folklore, seasons have symbolic colours: spring is red, summer is green or yellow, autumn is black, and winter is white
Therefore, we can think that the string, knitted or twisted in white and red, is a symbol of passing from the cold white winter to the colourful spring. 

Is mărțișor a tradition reserved for Romania and Romanians only? 
No. 
Some time ago, a few years back, a Bulgarian friend gave me a bracelet made from twisting white and red thread together. 
Mărțișor is martinka, martenitsa in Bulgarian. 
I was shocked and so disappointed because I thought the tradition was ours. Just ours. 
So, very selfish and childish
Isn't it? 
There are so many things we don't know. Too many. At least, I don't know. 

But Macedonians have mărțișoare (plural in Romanian), too. And probably many more countries. 
Well, it's a lovely tradition and I hope we never forget about it. 
Or ignore it. 
Oh, how much I used to love to give mărțișoare around. It was a huge deal back then, in the Golden Era. I wrote about it in „14 nuanțe de roșu = 14 nuances of red (Red = communism). 

Today, the 1st of March, I offer you a beautiful mărțișor made only from a red and white thread, a woman and a man together in a tree. 
No other object. Just them. 

martisoare-din-lana-in-copac-barbat-femeie-martisor
Photo from Pixabay

Isn't it fabulous? 
A bit funny, if you look closely at where the lady has her arm. 

Bulgarians put the mărțișor in a tree and leave it there for the entire March, then... I think they bring it inside in the hope to meet their soulmate. 
„There are trees with martenitsa everywhere,” said my friend. 
From my understanding, martenitsa is more of a couples' tradition over there. 
In Romania receiving and giving a mărțișor has this connotation too, but just for children. 
I wish I got one now. 
I haven't seen a mărțișor in a long, long time. Decades. Since I first left Romania in 2000. 

The mărțișor above is for you. 💞🍀 🤍
I hope it brings you luck, health and love. 

Legends have it that it doesn't matter how and where you wear it: on your chest and close to your heart, on your wrist, on a piece of paper, or you attach to a tree, a mărțișor attracts only good things in your life. 

Give it to others, it shows appreciation and good intentions. 
Love, perhaps? 

Thank you so much for your visit. 

Have you read any of my stories and liked them?
Why not support me by leaving a review on Goodreads and Amazon? 

📚

If you haven't read my books and are interested in doing so (English+Romanina), feel free to click on this link. It will take you to an external page (Amazon). 

The e-books in Romanian, signed with Cristina Gherghel (no longer Cristina G.), can be found here (Google Play)

Were you looking for my author blog? 

Credit pictures
Some are from Pixabay, and some others from PNGtree

In case you are feeling generous and would like to help an author help others, click here. 
It will take you to PayPal. 
No amount is too little. 
I thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

Post a Comment

Do not be shy, leave a sign. I prefer nice words, but critics are welcome too. Do not spam, do not insult (me or others), avoid being vulgar. Respect is a MUST! Ps. If you don't see your comment right away, is because it needs my approval before becoming public, so don't waste your time insulting, nobody will ever know (besides you).

Previous Post Next Post