Saturday, 30 September 2017

We're All Mad Here – Writers or Ghostwriters?

I am an author. But you already know that because I keep repeating it over and over again.
However, it is not you the one I want to convince, it is me.
I still can't believe that. Although anyone can be an author.
In fact we are all authors in our way. You too. So it's nothing extraordinary about being an author.

These past two weeks I have been sewing for 10 hours a day in a row. We are making a quilt that we are planning on selling and donate the money to a charity organisation.
6 days I have invested in it at this stage. But up until this stage, I have invested at least other 4. From morning to late evening.
The letters are dancing on the screen. I write by inertia because my fingers are tired and my eyes utterly confused by these long hours focusing on many different pieces of colourful fabric.

This time off writing gave me the opportunity to listen to videos discussing the writers' world.
I am outraged by what I found out.
Writing is a business. 
If you thought people don't read anymore, you were wrong. As I was too.
People still read. Quite a lot really. And not only electronic versions, but paperback formats too.

This should be great news for me. And it is. It's fantastic news. However, the people who invested years (or lives) researching and writing, don't earn anything. If something, they lose.

Do you know why?
Because writers are not business people. We write because it's what we are good at. 
Once the book is out, we think it will sell itself because it's  a great story.
Ha. This might have been true 20-50 years back. Not anymore.
The book, the amazing work of your life, might not be read by one single soul in this world if you don't invest time and money on advertising. Writing is only 10% of your getting the book in the hands or people.
Of course most give up.
What real writer would want to put up with this inferno? 
"We are creative people!" 
You have no idea how much I sympathise with you. 

Truth is, I would like to sit and write whole day long. Every day of the week, month, year.
But I don't write for myself.
If I need to learn marketing so you could read my book, I am going to learn marketing. I will hate every minute of it, but I am going to do what it takes to become worldwide known.

Some write because they mean business. These people invest loads of money in getting a book in the top 10. Usually, these stories are not that fantastic.
But the most important part is that many authors don't write the books they put their name on.
But because their goal is fame and/or money, they do what it takes to see it happen. So their books are everywhere. And they become bestsellers authors. Good for them. 
I am not jealous, I am actually impressed. Well done to them! I wish I was so clever. 

 I don't write for fame and glory.
  • I write because I am very good at it, 
  • I write because I love helping people,
  • I write great content that will remain in history for the generations to come, 
  • I write because this is my purpose in the world. 
I might be mad, but I am also a great real writer. 
If you don't know me yet, you will hear about me soon. 

In the meanwhile, keep on eye on my NEW free eBook promotion on Half my Age Plus Seven from the 7th until 9th of October 2017. 

The last free promotion went great! I didn't even bother to check until now. WOW! I felt like that child who rolled from happiness when he's got 1 subscriber on YouTube. O.N.E. And the subscriber was his grandma. 
You need to check that out on YouTube. It is very touching. I cried. 

Anyway, for someone who had no idea how to promote it... Well, it did pretty well. 5 downloads. 
Just kidding. It had 20. 
No. Kidding again. 
It had a couple of hundred. 
Really? 
I am rolling on the floor. I hope we're not all family members. 
I have got quite a large family. 
Blessings. 


2 comments:

  1. Hello, this weekend is nice designed for me, because this occasion i am reading
    this enormous informative piece of writing here at my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme
    of this blog. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very hard to
    get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and appearance.
    I must say you've done a fantastic job with this. Also, the blog loads super fast for me on Chrome.
    Excellent Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Do not be shy, leave a sign. I prefer nice words, but critics are welcome too. Do not spam, do not insult (me or others), avoid being vulgar. Respect is a MUST! Ps. If you don't see your comment right away, is because it needs my approval before becoming public, so don't waste your time insulting, nobody will ever know (besides you).